Friday, October 26, 2012

Fireplace goes black!

Another painting project on my list was done! YaY! My original bronze fireplace finally got touched up to black. This is my first project of painting using spray paint. So scared to do it at first but I did it!

Here is her look that came with the house when we bought. I have to tell you that all hardware and light fixtures in this house are in brass, 1960s' style. Fireplace was not brass, I guess it's called bronze?? Since we plan to get rid of the brass look so this bronze fireplace must go too.


And here is her new look!






If you are wondering about " How to", below might help.

1. Clean surface with Lysol Dual action. I used this one because one side of wiper is rough and suppose to clean well.
2. Sand it with steel wool. Thank you anonymous employee at  ACE Hardware who suggested to use this product to get rid of its shine without leaving scratch.
3. Repeat step#1
4. Wipe with paper towel or any clean dry towel.
5. Spray primer, I use Rust-Oleum black primer. Let it dry for 1 hour.
6. Spray Rust-Oleum black heat resistant. Thanks again to that anonymous ACE employee.
7. Second coat spray paint. FYI, the heat resistance  Rust-Oleum only came in Gloss and Flat. I wanted satin finished so I used Rust-Oleum Double Cover 2X in Satin black for my second coat.

Again....before and after ^___^


+ + + + + I would appreciate your comments + + + + +

No comments:

Post a Comment